McIntosh C-2200 or C-46 with MC-402???

Okay, a question for McIntosh users (or those familiar with the gear) out there -- need some advice and input!

You're setting up an MC-402 in your system and feeling awfully good about life. Now, you decide to chuck your other (very nice) preamps and put together a matching set. Why not, right?

The obvious choices are the 2200 tubed preamp and the 46 solid state preamp.

I've heard all these pieces, but have not been able to audition them as above (switching preamps, that is).

I generally like the "euphonic" quality of tubes, but always notice the trade-off in fine detail when you move back to solid state. Apples, oranges. I'm wondering if the 2200 is one of those rare pieces that gives you tube joy without the losses? How about matching up to the amp? Big money, big decision, so I'd appreciate your answers!
highdudgeon

Showing 1 response by chrisstu

I'm in exactly the same boat. Took delivery on my 402 last week and had the C2200 in house for audition wtih it over the weekend. I previously had the 402/C46 combo in house for audition and that's what I based my purchase decision on.

I found no veils (Stereovox and AU24 interconnects, Stereovox speaker cable)....only a very tough decision. In my room and system, the C46 seemed to present a larger soundstage (the 402 that I listened to with the C46 was the dealers, thus was well broken in and mine now only has 20 hours on it).

The C2200/402 renders vocals fantastically.

Both are relaxed....I couldn't detect any substantive difference in detail between the two and didn't perceive any lacking.

I'm leaning toward the C2200.