Mcintosh C-2200 or Aesthetix Calypso?

I know I want a tube preamp and have narrowed the field down to these two. Both are available at the same price. After reading what members have to say about the Calypso, it seems like the clear winner ...but....I like the tone controls on the Mcintosh. At 12 o clock position the tone controls are inactive and out of the signal path, but can be used as needed otherwise. (According to Mcintosh) I know tone controls are frowned upon, but I have owned preamps without them in the past and found it to be frustrating when I felt the need to compensate for a bad recording. Associated gear is Classe Seven Hundred mono's, B&W 800N, and a yet to be determined CDP. Thanks for your advice.
baffled

Showing 2 responses by likecap

Hi, I see you decided to change preamps. Good decision! You've narrowed it down to the same two that I did. As you may remember from your CD player thread, I have the C2200 and I am very happy with the choice. I've heard the Calypso is warmer. Since I was mating it to the MC-402, (sounds more like tube than solid state), I decided to go with the synergy of McIntosh for both amp & preamp. If I remember right, you have a bright high end issue. You may find that the Calypso works best for you. Either way, I think you'll be very pleased. I'm not sure if you have access to the two but it would be worth your time to go and listen. A good high end shop should allow you to bring in your amp to determine how they match. Good luck on your decision. Bill
Don't underestimate the importance of a good preamp. I personally like tubes in my Preamp and a SS Amp. To me, it is the most musical dynamic sound. This combo has worked for me with 801N. I also like the way McIntosh mates with B&W. If I was you, I would go listen and decide what is best. Perhaps a good place to start would be to audition the C-2200 and the C46. You shouldn't have a difficult time getting a heads to heads comparison. I think both are excellent preamps and its really a matter of preference, but if you decide on tubes I would not rule out the Calypso without an audition if at all possible. It may be what puts your entire system in synergy. Bill