Mc Intosh vs other brands

I read a thread recently that a guy was looking for an amp for his Magico speakers. He said he tried out a Mc Intosh amp, Audio Research, Pass and Spectral. He said that the Mc Intosh sounded slow and muddy compared to the others. He went on to say that Mc Intosh is behind the times and is just living on their reputation.
taters

Showing 2 responses by paul2240

Csontos....you are probably correct. I am just so impressed when I get to listen to a high-quality system. Be it McIntosh, Cary, Carver, MBL or even some of the Chinese brands (Audio Space, Antique Sound) I am blown away. My point was the design quality is so great, people should just go listen and let their ears guide them.
The very latest McIntosh amps are extremely nice. I think for several years they were kind of like the "Cadillac" of amps, and not in a good way. Over-priced, bloated and not competitive with the very best. They were the gold-standard in the 70s and 80s perhaps.

However, I have recently listened to many of their latest amps and while I won't buy a McIntosh (still over-priced, in general) the sound is very nice. The construction has always been top-notch also. My local dealer doesn't sell very much McIntosh anymore because the reputation (he says) has taken a beating. But we both agree that these are again some of the best amps going.

I really believe we are in a golden age of amp design and the quality of what's available is truly remarkable, from just 10 years ago. Go listen.