Max signal strength to preamps?

I've been told many times by countless people to integrate my 2 channel system with a H/T system, as follows;

run interconnect cables from the H/T left and right main pre-outs to the 2 channel preamps inputs for a processor. In my case the 2 channel pre is a Conrad Johnson PR-F which has two inputs marked ELP-1 and ELP-2(external processor loop). These two inputs are however no different than any other input(CD, Tuner, ect) other than the fact that they have output terminals also(hence the "loop" I assume). These inputs are meant to accept a line level signal as are all the other inputs (no phono in this pre).

It seems to me that that signal being sent by the main pre-outs of the H/T processor will be an AMPLIFIED line level signal (amplified by the preamp of the preocessor). This signal is intended to go to the amplier. Wouldn't this amplied signal cause a problem with the 2 channel preamps inputs?

I have talked to the CJ rep. about this and he too was confused as to whether the above mentioned hook-up is correct.

I had tried this hook-up once and it worked for a short while, then my amplifier's protection mode started kicking in and shutting it down. I diconnected the H/T processor and ran the CJ pre stictly as a 2 channel system, but the amp protection circuit kept kicking in. This happened only with the CJ preamp and not with any others. I had just bought this CJ used and had only had it for a day before I tried the H/T integration, after which the troubles began.

I sent the unit back to CJ and they at first had trouble finding anything wrong. I was then notified that it was fixed and would be sent back shortly. I received the preamp back from CJ and it works fine, but received no explaination as to what was wrong.

So back to my original question; isn't the signal from the H/T processors main left and right pre-outs an amplified line level signal(as it is meant to sent to the amplifier) and is this signal O.K. to be fed into a preamp input meant for a line level signal.

As you can tell I'm a little confused about all of this.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. It remains unclear if the attempted H/T integration hook-up caused the problem with the CJ preamp or whether it was a coincidence that it happened when it did.
say811

Showing 1 response by say811

I like the CJ. I can just about guarranty that if I had the same pre/proc as you and asked another audio question, someone would tell me to "dump the pre/proc and get a 2 channel pre".

Being new to this hobby can be pretty difficult at times, especially when you haven't heard enough examples of high end sound to really make a quality judgement on gear. Not knowing about audio but "knowing" what I like could be the same as not knowing art but knowing what I like, next thing you know I'll have a house full of Bose to with my velvet Elvis paintings and people will laugh at me.