Mark Levinson No.512 CD Player---Opinions

Wow!! I just listened to the new Mark Levinson 512 CD player against the usual known suspects of Eoteric, EMM, dCS, and alike and I am convinced that Mark Levinson is back. I was able to spend ample time with the local dealer in Southern California in comparing the unit and we both agreed it was sensational. FYI, it is $15k but it is well worth it. Complete tonal balance and dynamic as anything I have heard for the price. I would be eager to hear others' opinion about this player.
pkancel

Showing 1 response by shadorne

Jaybo,

Once again I find myself fully agreeing with you - a Lavry DA10 or Benchmark Dac1 can turn most any transport into a player equalling most 3K good quality designs (so can an excellent DSP for that matter). After this I suspect it is as much about taste and preference as to further subtle differences (tube etc.).

I have no doubt the 512 CD is absolutely awesome (I haven't heard it) - perhaps it may have just just the spot with Pkancel - the "synergy" thing. I'd be interested though to hear if other folks think the Meitner and Esoteric etc. have been dethroned, however, I think it takes a track record to determine this. If it has been around five years and people still love it then it gets added to my hypothetical list (as I very rarely splurge).