Marantz 8260 vs benchmark DAC1

as the latest victim of the dreaded sudden death of the sacd 1000, i am considering these two as replacements. has anyone compared them? of course, i realize that i would be giving up sacd with the benchmark. i was happy with the sound of the sacd 1000 once i put it on aurios (it was too warm sounding before that). also, if anyone knows if there is any hope to repair my sacd 1000 at this time, i would be most appreciative. my associated equipment is audible illusions 2d, pse studio IV, vandersteen 2Cs, and kimber kcag and 8tc. thanks very much for your help.
kb54

Showing 1 response by jallen

I have the Benchmark DAC1 and I bought the Pioneer DV578A which has SACD, DVDA, 16/44, DVD, CDR/W. The SACD is nearly as good as the SACD 1000 which I owned two, with them both having the notorious glitches before they were sold. The Pioneer has optical and coax dig-out. I am using the coax outs and the Benchmark has far more air in the treble than the SACD 1000, with the DAC1 having a tighter and more articulate bass. The Benchmark also had a bigger stage both wider and deeper. The midrange wasn't as dark as the SACD 1000 and more delicate. The SACD 1000 was best with SACD , but the gap wasn't as large. Since I have more 16/44 recordings, the Benchmark is just the ticket. I am not sure you can spend money better than on this unit. Jallen