Marantz 2270 + B&W DM2000: What subwoofer?

Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster!

In the past year I've bought a Marantz 2270 receiver, and had it restored to new. I've had the extreme luck to be given a pair of B&W DM2000 (the ones with the pentagonal shape) by someone who just wanted to get rid of them.

The current set-up sounds good as it is, but I can tell something is missing. When I listen to other setups that tend to run for $1k+, I'm usually blown away by the clarity and definition of the sound that I hear. Maybe I am biased against my own gear (the grass is always greener on the other side), but I feel like there's something I could do to make this sound better.

Would I benefit from purchasing a subwoofer? I've done some research and come to the conclusion that I need an active sub, as I do not want to buy another amplifier just to be able to run it. If so, which active sub would pair well with the Marantz amp and the B&W speakers? I am open minded to suggestions, and if something interesting came up with a passive subwoofer, I would not turn it down.

Info:
- My budget for a sub is approximately $500. Willing to go a little bit higher if it's worth it.
- Currently residing in France.
- Would rather have the sub be vintage, so as to follow the rest of my gear.
- I listen to absolutely everything, from Metallica to Eminem, from Michael Jackson to Daft Punk, from Creedence Clearwater Revival to Queen. If possible, I'd like a sub that has flexibility.

I know those are a lot of restrictions, so please feel free to work around them. Thanks a lot!

~a grateful reader
funkymojovibes

Showing 2 responses by funkymojovibes

Thanks for all the helpful posts! Great input here.

I do tend to play my music pretty loud, when I can. Interesting information about the 2270 here! Maybe it's true that my speakers aren't adapted to my amp... hmmm.

I doubt that the Marantz is running out of gas, since I got a full revision for it to make it brand new about a year ago.

Rar1: So, if I'm understanding this right, the ohm-rating of the 2270 and the DM2000 do not match, which results in the speakers not being driven correctly? If so, I may well have to get some speakers with 4 ohms. Do you know what model the NHT and Wharfedale monitors were? Also, I believe the speakers are in good condition; at least, there's nothing that makes me think that they aren't.

Onemug: is there any chance you have the model of those Altec Valencia cabs + JBL woofer?
JohnnyR: I'll have to try that some day, especially the speaker-off-the-ground thing.

CT0517: Thanks for your input. I guess that it looks like I'll have to invest in another set of speakers for my marantz, and another amp for my B&W's! I do think, however, that the protection circuit doesn't work, because I've never seen any light turn on. Where IS the light on the speakers anyway? So, for my B&W's, I'd need an amp that has high wattage at 8 ohms, correct?

Thanks a lot for all the advice. At least I just didn't go out and buy a sub. Cheers everyone!
@Rar1: Wait a minute. If the High Fidelity test you linked me to showed the Marantz running at over 80 watts into 8ohms, and my DM2000's are rated at 8ohms, I shouldn't have a problem, should I?