Manley 440 monos to drive low impedance ribbons?

Hi!
I have a pair of Apogee Scintilla speakers, on the
nominal 1 Ohm setting (drops .5) and want to try to drive them with tubes (presently I use a pair of Bryston 7b ST's).
The most powerfull monos I can afford (second hand) would
be a pair of mono Manleys, delivering 270W each and 540W
each (triode and tetrode mode, respectivly).
Anybody tried to attempt anything similar? Results...?
Thanks!

John
jstones

Showing 1 response by hackmaster

A couple of things...

First of all I think that using tubes on such a low load is an incredibly bad idea. You will be wearing down the tubes and transformers and really overworking the amplifier, and that is assuming that you can get the amp to perform in a stable manner given the impedance of your speakers.

Second, even if it does work and you are able to play anywhere near the listening levels you'll want to attain, it'll sound like garbabe. Tubes don't sound good when they are overworked in terms of the load presented. You will suffer poor bass control, shrill highs, poor tonal balance, mediocre imaging... shall I continue? Even out of two ohm taps (which some amps offer or can be modified to provide) you are talking about a far too challenging load.

Third - I don't care who says what about power output. That is completely irrelevant. We can argue about this until the sun sets. Mathematically you may have plenty of power but remember at the end of the day, watts RMS is a pretty misleading spec all thing considered.

Fourth - why are you trying to do this? Just use solid state. It's going to sound infinitely better in this case, it'll be far more reliable, and you'll be able to play much louder. You will also save yourself a lot of time and energy. Do you realize how much it's going to cost to retube your monoblocks? And you will have to do this quite frequently if you run the amps into half an ohm.

I understand that a lot of people want to run tubes instead of solid state. I am fully aware of the appeal of tubes - I run them myself at home in my own system and many of my customers are tube gurus. However, using tubes purely for the sake of using tubes makes no sense IF they are not going to perform as well as solid state for a given application. When customers come to me I decide what amp will work best for them based on a variety of variables (room size, listening volume, and most importantly speaker impedance) If the customer is open minded and has speakers which will present a realistic load to an amp, I often recommend tubes. But in your case I think it's an incredibly bad idea.

Bear in mind that you really must pick a solid state amp carefully too - a lot of solid state amps will either limit current output or shut down all together into that impedance. Make sure you go with a solid state amp that will run all the way down.