Magnepan for Background Listening

As the title suggests, how are Maggies for background listening? The new LRS model is so affordable, I was thinking about pulling the trigger. Realistically though, I am not going to pull up a chair and sit in the sweet spot very often. I know that the sweet spot is small, but outside of that sweet spot is what I am most curious about. Thanks! 
seanheis1

Showing 2 responses by noble100

seanheis1,

I think you'd enjoy them as background speakers and actually having them at least 3' out from the wall will only enhance their performance as background music speakers.  The fact that they're dipoles and there's direct sound from the front, as well as an equal volume level of reflected sound coming from the rear, adds a sense of depth that is noticeable and enjoyable whether your in front of or off to either side of the speakers.  Adding 1-4 subs in the room only adds to this spacious perception.  Plenty of quality amp power also benefits the sound quality.  
     I enjoy the sound of my Magnepan 2.7QRs with a 4-sub Swarm distributed bass system even from nearby rooms.

Tim