magnepan 1.6 subwoofer recomendations

What subwoofer meshes well with the 1.6s in terms of speed, power, xover, etc.

Not sure if powered or not would be best.

Thanks
alex333
IME,the issues with panels and subs is real, but unrelated to sub "speed". I'd guess that interaction between the dipole radiation of the main panels and the omni pattern of the sub is more complex than that created by conventional main speakers and subs. The result is more "peaks and valleys" in the combined response.

If you can get smooth response through the x-over region, you'll be okay. It can be difficult to acheive this, but I managed to do so in my room - after a ton of tweaking my SMS controller. The odds of success without room analysis and PEq strike me as low, since it took a lot of effort even with these tools at hand.

Since my pair of Velo SPLRs sounded pretty crappy with the Maggies until I got the integration nailed down - and very, very good thereafter, I tend to believe the choice of any particular sub is probably much less important than integrating that sub properly.

Marty

PS You might want to scan some of the "subwoofer" threads out there on this forum. There's a lot of good info available on different models.
Personally, Id go with two subs. Id rather have 2 great subs, then one exceptional, but thats me. I can ALWAYS tell when only a single sub is being used.
Look at the rythmik subs, 15in. i have one, they are amazing fast and better integrated with my 1.6 than the aci titan ii, my prior sub.