Looking for a $500 or so phono preamp -- BC23 ?

Hi, how would a used Blue Circle BC23 stack up against some of the newer phono preamps Graham Slee, Edwards Audio or Project (Tube Box II?).
What would you buy on that budget ? Any suggestions ? I'm all EARs (yes, lousy pun intended).
Thanks in advance.
128x128kennyman

Showing 2 responses by kennyman

Thanks for the help. Keep the ideas coming.
Has anyone here had any experience with the Blue Circle BC23, especially compared with some of the newer phono stages ?
Actusreus, thanks for the offer. I'll look into your Camelot Technologies Lancelot . I don't know much about it.
Tbrongard, I've seen reviews on the Musical Surroundings Phonomena I and II and they seem like they'd be a good choice and are on my short list, especially after being recommended by a Gon'r.
Wescoman, I've definetely heard of Clearaudio and will check out some reviews and the forum(s).
Redglobe, thanks, but I'm not a DIY'er and can't see myself ever sitting with a soldering iron in my living room working on a phono stage. I don't have the proper knowledge or skills to be doing that (yeah,I'm jealous).
Nandric, did you order your Jasmine and have it shipped right from China ? Is yours the LP1 or 2? I went on e-bay to check them out, but I'm not sure I want to get something shipped from that far (many reasons). I guess I'll have to weigh out the +/-'s.

Keep the responses coming and someone with the Blue Circle BC23 please chime in.
I have to admit I partially agree with Actusreus. I'm not as comfortable ordering something directly from China. I know they've come a long way and the quality is constantly improving, I still don't get that warm fuzzy feeling inside. In the back of my mind I would always have doubts about it's quality and longevity. I have chinese electronics, although automotive related in my store and I can tell you that the "self branded" bargain versions aren't usually in my experience the same quality as the products that are manufactured in China for popular companies where they are manufactured to the higher standards of those North American/European companies. There are exceptions, but as a rule I see it all the time. The cheap off shore (usually Asian) products are lowering our prices but at the the same time they are also lowering the overall quality, durability and reliability of most products. Again I'm not trying to offend anyone and the Chinese high end audio certainly seems to be higher quality that the general rule of thumb.
That said, Redglobe is correct in that I'm sure that there are great repair shops here who could repair or modify these units, but where do you start or for that matter stop. Where does it stop being a bargain? I simply don't have the knowledge of which internal parts need replaced or not.
For me, an average guy that enjoys audio products and mostly the music they produce I delegate that job to the manufacturers and pick the ones I like the sounds of. I don't always get it right and neither do they which makes these forums invaluable.
I wish I had the talent and ability to create these things myself. But I don't, so I can only listen and sometimes ask for the help of others who enjoy the same crazy hobby.

That said, even though I love a bargain I still don't get that warm fuzzy feeling inside about many offshore products.
If I can find a comparable Canadian, US, British or other European product for a little bit more money I generally feel better about it in virtually every respect.