Looking 4 good lower cost pre amp $300 to $600

I just bought a new house and am putting my higher end HT setup in the family room. I will actually have a dedicated room that I will use for two channel. Since I have a higher end HT setup I don't need a high buck two channel setup. Perhaps tube or not????

Whats a good pre amp in the 300 to 400 hundred price range?

Thanks
freemand

Showing 3 responses by darkmoebius

11-10-08: Freemand
I should mention a pre amp that accents the midrange and not so much attention to the highs. In other words, a bit warmer with a accented midrange. I like a liquid pronounced mids!
Go tubes, Man, go tubes!!!
What do you guys think of a top rated integrated amp under $1000 used?
What kind of speakers would it be driving?
11-11-08: Freemand
I have some Highly modded redone Kef ref 104/2
Redone with different drivers and/or crossover? If so, it might be hard to know what the specs and impedance curve are now. The original 104/2 specs were - 92dB/W/m at 4 ohms, 55Hz to 20kHz (+-2dB).

Since you are a fan of midrange, tube integrated seems a natural choice and the 92dB efficiency is a fairly easy load provided there aren't some big dips below 4 ohms. And the 55Hz lower limit should save a low-priced tube amp from having to produce the hardest frequencies.

Anyway, in your price range, you might want to look for a Jolida tube integrated in the 40-60wpc range like the JD-302B(50wpc) using EL34 tubes that's for sale here at $595. EL34's are pretty meaty output tubes, soundwise and do a good midrange.