LONDON Decca, Tzar DST and similar cartridges

I have always been curious about these phono cartridges and the Stereophile review of the Tzar DST has heightened my interest. When I read about the peculiarities of these cartridges, I am put off from trying them. Can anyone offer persuasive reasons to try them and also provide real practical advice on how to make them work reliably?  Tonearm suggestions? Phono preamp suggestions? Damping recommendations? How badly do they grind out record grooves?  Any other words of advice? Thanks. 
128x128kmccarty

Showing 4 responses by ct0517

normansizemore
I have the Decca London, and use it with a Grace 747 tonearm. Everything you’ve read is true. It has a unique sonic presentation, and I haven’t found anything that it doesn’t play well.

Hi normansizemore

I am referencing your Reel to Reel thread here

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/reel-to-reel-uses

and my post is specifically in reference to 15 IPS master tape dubs.

When you say for the Decca London " it has a unique sonic presentation"

In your experience how does "unique" relate to the sonic presentation of 15 IPS master tape dubs.

thanks.

Hi Kmmcarty
Kmmcarty - .....in my second floor stereo room

Curious...Have you heard your system kit on a ground floor / concrete slab?

Hi Normansizemore - quite the moniker you have :^)
thanks for your comments. There was recent discussions of the London Decca’s from owners on the Eminent Technology ET2 thread. These discussions re-piqued my interest in this cartridge. I think its the top contender for my next cartridge one day.
Cheers
interesting post Bdp24

Bdp24......So which London to get? As always, it’s a question of system balance, the most effective allocation of your Hi-Fi Dollars/Pounds (in honour of the Britishness of Decca/London ;-), and, most importantly, of course, the other parts of your record player. There is no point in spending the extra money for the Reference if your pick-up arm won’t allow it’s superiority to the Jubilee to be heard.

You got me really curious and I started googling

First I Googled Decapod - got me this.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/44/Haeckel_Decapoda.jpg

2nd google on Decca Jubilee Cartridge - got me this

http://www.needledoctor.com/London-Decca-Jubilee-Phono-Cartridge

3rd google on Decca Reference Cartridge - got me this

http://www.needledoctor.com/London-Decca-Reference-Phono-Cartridge

4th google on Decca Tonearm - got me to this.

http://www.needledoctor.com/London-Decca-Reference-Tonearm

The path seems pretty clear to me.
you’re a bad influence Eric, you know ?
You’re taking my mind off my Quad subwoofer project and making me think about spending serious coin on a cartridge.
Cheers Chris
Kmccarty
Ct0517, I can’t use my stereo system on the first without disrupting family life. I agree that would be better for turntables.

yes, better for turntables, but also for large speakers with dynamic cone drivers that send excess vibrations downward.

Regarding Warren, I am not sure what his issues with my system are. Perhaps he isn’t familiar with my turntables.

Kmccarty
Regarding the Decca folks/representatives discussed on this thread. I will say I have come across individuals in this business, and I am not saying that those mentioned here are like these folks. After all I don’t personally know them. The folks I am thinking about have been down their road, experiences, and have their own take on things. If certain criteria are not met; the answer will always be no, not good enough unless all the t’s are crossed and the i ’s dotted. The t’s and i’s here, as this is vinyl (a mechanical, vibration, resonance process) could very well come down to the Room Type/Location, and the type of tonearm. I say this from the limited information on this thread. Dealing with vibrations that get amplified from a very small signal are real. In the end, imo, these folks are as passionate as anyone else, and are just trying to make sure "you", meaning whoever they are talking to, get to their "place" and "experience" what they experience. Some are better at dealing with people than others when it comes to this.

True Story
I went to hear and maybe buy a 200 lb amplifier. I arrived at this person’s house who lived alone in a large two storey home with full 8 foot ceiling basement. After greeting me, instead of going down or across the main floor we headed up the stairs to my surprise. In the large master bedroom was contained high end audio gear including very large dynamic cone speakers that were sitting on concrete blocks. Long story short, this fellow was only digital but he was considering vinyl. I told him with his gear to strongly consider moving everything to a dedicated space in the basement. The first floor was also suspended wood beams, typical of Ontario Canada housing. He told me he couldn’t do this. His basement which he showed me before I left (with the amp) was full of racks containing electronic diagnostic gear, and vintage electronics pieces. He was an Electronics Engineer with the local Honda Automobile Plant. He worked with the actual electronic circuits.
Just sayin...

Cheers Chris