Linn AV 5140 active ?

I do have Linn LK 5140 amp and AV 5140 and would like to understand whether the sound of the speakers improves dramatically if I go "active" with these speakers.
Also, do I need to buy an exactly the same amp? And what kind of cable would you recommend for this? Do I also need to buy any other equipment?
atimof

Showing 1 response by barnz1

In my opinion the step-up from passive to aktiv is of tremendous value for any Linn Loudspeaker. It also gives a buyer much more latitude in specifying a system for a particular room situation - for example - if one wanted the best possible sound, but had absoluteley no room for equipment, Linn in-wall loudspeakers can be driven aktiv with Klimax amplifiers. Would this be better than other speakers with the same electronics, no; but if those were your constraints, it would be worthwhile.

Also, in answer to < [email protected] > on the sound pressure level being higher: when your amplifiers were running in "passive" mode, each unit was expending energy amplifying the full-range audio signal - but much of that energy was subsequently dumped off by the passive crossovers before getting through to the drivers. (Which is what prevented your tweeters from flying across the room when fed a 20Hz signal) ;'> With the aktiv crossovers, essentially all of the energy being generated by each amplifier channel is being converted to mechanical energy by a driver, instead of being thrown out.