Lexicon MC-12, Anthem AVM-20, B &K Ref 30?

I'm confused. Will I hear a difference on these three pieces? I mean a "real world" difference that a novice or a non audiophile could hear? Which one has the most flexibilty, sound quality & bang for the buck? I will purchase a Theta Dreadnaught or a Krell (5 channel) amp. I do 80/20 Home Theater v. music. My head is spinning with all the choices. Lastly, do I really need balanced outputs?
kostab99

Showing 3 responses by danielk141

Wow, maybe this will stir up even more controversy. I've heard the latest Lexicon & Proceed. I have friends who own both of those & the latest Theta Casablanca (with the best DACS).
I'd try to demo any of the processors you mention, in YOUR system. I'm partial to the REF 30. I own a B & K AVP 3090 right now. You've already got a great amp - the Dreadnaught! Over time you'll notice owners of high dollar pieces on this site singing the praises of what they own.
Of course they will, that's human nature!
The REF 30 is so (relatively)inexpensive, you can get one for around the cost of an "Exteme" dac upgrade on the Theta. No matter how many manufacturers talk about the "permanent" upgradeability of their processors, Lexicon & Proceed have abandoned at least their first platforms.
B&K will come out with a new model every few years & make it software upgradeable for some time after it is superseded by a new model. I believe this is a rational & logical practice.
Richard Hardesty used to write for Widescreen Review. He recently left & now has his own website, (does anybody have the address? I misplaced it). He really took Lexicon to task for using cheap parts in their latest flagship processor...
Well,

I've sat on my hands & bit my tongue long enough! Here's my vote for best budget surround & 2 channel pre amp. Try an Adcom GFP750 & mate it with a B&K REF 30. You'll have "Class A" 2 channel & a sophisticated "middle of the road" multi channel processor.
Perfect Vision is an offshoot of "The Absolute Sound".
Under Harry Pearson's guidlines, my Montana SPIIs, Pass Aleph P & Pass Aleph 2s are too "small, unsophisticated & underpowered (by 100 watts!) to take seriously. I live in Phoenix, AZ. I'm within 20 minutes of qualified, friendly dealers of Pass Labs, B&K, Mark Levinson, Proceed, Wilson, Rowland, Theta, Dynaudio, YBA, B&W & Revel, etc. My ears & my friends agree Harry Pearson is wrong. We vote with our pocketbooks & we don't get demo equipment for months at a
time.
My chiropractor has a Lexicon. He thinks it's great! He'll buy something else if I show him a processor that's appreciably better.
Lthkeeper,

If you want to call my opinion laughable, at least have the courtesy to mention by name the "TRUE class A preamps" you're referencing in your comment.
It's pretty hard to have a debate if your just going to say I'm wrong because you worked at two high end stores.