Levinson Amps: What do they really sound like?

I have never been interested in Levinson amps, because I was given the opinion they were sterile, clinical, & lacked the palpability of other top SS amps. However, I have seen a number of 'Gon members praise them recently.

What is your opinion of their sound compared to Plinius, Roland, Pass, McCormack, Ayre, etc.?
kevziek

Mark levinson is very good amp, i had owned
the 336 with 380s almost two years ago.

I sold them after 6 months !!

If you want to hear good HIFI buy it !!

If you want to heard music buy JADIS/tube !!
EVERY amp has sonic color, to say that Levinson's don't is wishful thinking. If that was the case, Madrigal wouldn't need to keep coming out with "improved" models. Current Levinson's, in my opinion, offer great resolution, deep soundstage but can also sound soft and dull. A high end amplifier really needs to be matched with the speakers and the individul's taste. Unfortunately there is no perfect amplifier, only those which make less mistakes.
I absolutely agree with the last entry. I have never owned one, but heard them on many occasions. Matched to the proper speaker (Revel Studio or Salon with Levinson is a very hard to beat combination) and they sound as beautiful, tremdendous, etc (choose your favorite adjective) as any amplifier out there (in my experience). Improperly matched (I do not remember the particular speaker that made this impression, but the impression itself was certainly memorable) and the amplifier will make you wonder why anyone would buy one. I personally prefer my Plinius, but if you are interested in solid state, you would be wise to audition a Levinson with the speakers you intend to purchase.

Good luck!!
I also agree to what Blackie wrote.How can one know that an
amp doesn´t change the signal of recorded music?
What will the comparison be,no amp at all? But then there will be no sound´....
In reality, all components in the reproduction chain seems
to affect the sound of the reproduction.And while some component´s contribution will probably be so small that
we can ignore them (at least at thise time of development),
all amps seems to have some sort of sonic signature, and they do interact with the preamps as well as the loudspekers we use!
I´ve heard the Levinsson 334 a few times, with Revel speakers,Levinson CDP and preamp, and to my ears that system was a rather easy-listening system,althought it didn´t got up so much of details.Dynamics was good,without
beeing outstanding.At the same time, there may be systems
that are slightly more true to the reality.But I can´t say
how a Levinson amp sound by itself, and Levinson also have their reference line.
I don't own one, but seriously considered the No. 336 after two long weekend home auditions. I agree with Blackie that its greatest attributes are resolution and soundstage. It also has very deep and full bodied bass. Ultimately I felt the Levinson was to polite and reticent in the mids for my tastes. I auditioned the No. 336 with Thiel CS7.2s.