Levinson 380S or Hovland 100?

I've recently migrated from primarily HT to 2-channel. I just added a Sony 777ES SACD player to my system, which consists of Aerial 7B's driven by an EAD Powermaster 2000 amp (400 watts/ch). Interconnects are Harmonic Tech Pro Silway MkII.

While I still enjoy HT, 2-channel is now taking up 90% of my time and interest. Now I must find a preamp to go with the SACD player. I've never owned tube gear, but have read tons of reviews and opinions regarding it's unique sound. Here's my question. . .

In the $6,000-$7,000 price range, what are your opinions and suggestions? I'm leaning toward the Levinson 380S. I feel comfortable with the fact that it's SS and I am familiar with the Levinson reputation for quality. Is this unit in the same league with the preamps mentioned in the previous "Hovland-pre thread?

I just read the Stereophile review on the CJ 17LS, and this could be in the running as well. Again, I'm inexperienced in the tube world, and don't want to be a slave to maintenance, tube replacement and such. Or are today's units virtually maintenance free?

Any first-hand info and opinions will be greatly appreciated. I love my SACD player, and want to be sure I'm getting the very best out of it I can.

Thanks,

Ken
kenl

Showing 2 responses by sedond

i tink there's a 380s here on a-gon for ~$3.5k. but i *know there's a melos ma-333r yust put up here for $1900. *that's* the pre *i'd* buy... amazing dynamics, as accurate & detailed as the best solid-state, but still has the soundstage depth & warmth of tubes. w/output impedance of 15 ohms, (30 ohms in balanced config.), it'll drive any amp, & there's absolutely *no* toob-rush noise.

good luck, doug

ken, to get some negative info on the melos, check out the little *spat* i had w/leafs on the "Have Rogue Monoblocks, now what?" thread here... ;~) as discussed in the thread, melos - the company - *did* have enuff serious problems to cause 'em to go under... leafs obviously prefers the rogue preamps, tho i doubt he's ever heard a melos. there was yust posted to the a-gon classifieds a rogue 99 pre for $1450 if yure innerested - i'd still go w/the melos. :>)

regards, doug