Lehman Black Cube or Fisher 500C?

I've decided to resurrect my analog rig which consists of a Sota Saphire Deluxe series 3 TT; Premier FT-3 tonearm and Benz Glider moving coil cartridge. I believe the Benz, which is an early version, is probably a medium output... I used to run this all into an original Lehman Black cube phono stage,(Not with the extra large/optional power supply) which would feed into my Sonic Frontiers Line 3. I recently picked up a Fisher 500c receiver which is getting a complete makeover at the moment (all restored to stock) and I was wondering if the phono stage on it would add some much needed warmth . If so, how would I do it exactly? Could the Lehman feed the Fisher and then to the Line 3 or should I just run into the Fisher and then the Line 3? I'm open for suggestions. Sorry it sounds so elementary but its been a long time since analog for me.
lissnr

Showing 4 responses by lewm

I'll take a stab. You only need one phono stage, either the one built into the Fisher, which is probably strictly for high output MM cartridges, or your Lehman. Either of those could be run into the Symphonic Line 3. It's probable that the Fisher does not have quite enough phono gain for the Benz Glider, however, but there is no harm in trying. OR you could run the Glider into the Lehman and hence the Lehman into the high level input of the Fisher, and use the latter as your linestage, Assuming you intend to use the amplifier section of the Fisher to drive your speakers, which you have not stipulated, I would personally choose to use the Lehman/Fisher and eliminate the Symphonic, if only to minimize the number of different pieces of gear and ICs in the signal path. You can have lots of fun sorting his all out yourself, but less is usually more in audio.
Dear Lisnr and Jig, Read this review from Stereophile: http://stereophile.com/historical/605fisher/

A restored 500C will at worst compete with the Lehman and Line 3, plus you get a very good sounding amplifier in the bargain. I would not assume that the sonics are "vintage" in any way. Unless you have very power hungry speakers, the 500C would seem to be worth a try. But you have not told us what other amp you own.
I am surprised that even the CJ is adequate for the Apogees, since the REL crossover does not have a high pass filter (i.e., the CJ has to drive the Apogees full range, I think). You certainly could try running the Benz Glider straight into the MM input of the Fisher. If you have a talented tech working on the Fisher, perhaps he could even perform a trick or two to increase phono gain, if that proves to be needed at all. I bet the Fisher into the Silverllines will be divine.
The Fisher phono section should work OK with 2.0 or 2.5mV input. The Benz has about 1mV output. So you really do not need the Lehman at all, and I should have thought of this before. Any decent SUT will have an easy time supplying the missing drive, IF the direct input into the Fisher phono section from the Benz is not quite adequate to make you happy. Also, there are many great MM and MI cartridges that IMO surpass the Glider in both output and overall performance and could easily drive the Fisher phono stage, for less than half the price of the Glider.