Leave tube amp on all day?

I've just purchased my first piece of tube gear, a Cary SLI-80 integrated. What's the best for tube life? Leave it on all day or turn it on only when it's used?

On days I'm home, I may listen an hour in the morning and a couple hours in the evening. If I leave it on all day, to get 2-3 hours of listening time, it'll be on for 12+ hours. This means the power tubes won't last more than a year? If I turn it on and off 2 to 3 times each day, will the tubes last longer?

If it's best to just leave it on all day, then is it advisable to leave it on over night as well for multiple days? Turn on Friday evening and turn off Sunday evening?
in_power2002

Showing 1 response by in_power2002

Thanks all for your responses. Looks like turning on/off the amp 2-3 times on days I'm home won't shorten tube life more than leaving it on all day from what I gather here. At least that saves on electricity.

I wish there was a standby switch on this amp, as I would use it but unfortunately, it's just on or off.

Tube shorting? Ouch. It never occurred to me that was even a possibility. The amp has fuses, so I assume that would go before there's a fire hazard? Man, don't tell me everyone who has tube gear has a fire extinguisher next to their equipment rack. :-)