Leave tube amp on all day?

I've just purchased my first piece of tube gear, a Cary SLI-80 integrated. What's the best for tube life? Leave it on all day or turn it on only when it's used?

On days I'm home, I may listen an hour in the morning and a couple hours in the evening. If I leave it on all day, to get 2-3 hours of listening time, it'll be on for 12+ hours. This means the power tubes won't last more than a year? If I turn it on and off 2 to 3 times each day, will the tubes last longer?

If it's best to just leave it on all day, then is it advisable to leave it on over night as well for multiple days? Turn on Friday evening and turn off Sunday evening?
in_power2002

Showing 1 response by cruz123

Welcome to the SLI-80 club. Its a great amp. If you search the FAQ's at Cary's website (CaryAudio.com), they offer their advice on this issue. My recollection, in a nutshell, is that Cary advises to turn the amp off if you plan to go more than a few hours without listening. On CDP's, they suggest leaving them on 24/7. I find that the amp heats up pretty quickly and I haven't noticed any significant improvement in leaving it on for long periods. So I just turn the amp on as needed. My CDP (Cary 308T), on the other hand, seems to benefit from being left on. I usually compromise and turn on my CDP on Friday evening and leave it on through Sunday evening, since I do most of my listening on weekends. During the week I turn both the amp and CDP on as needed.

Enjoy the amp!