Krell S300i advice needed?

Hey everyone,

I don't usually post here but I sold my old refurbished Counterpoint gear here a couple of years ago and miss having a stereo and request a little advice about pairings with the Krell integrated.

I listened to the Krell S300i today paired up with B&W CM9 speakers and they sounded incredible except the 50hz rolloff that the CM9 speakers have. The Ipod output also had some weird noise in it. Hopefully it was my Iphone being junky and not the Krell. My Iphone was not transmitting either. I will have to investigate that again next time I listen to it.

My main question is: Is it possible to get that same crisp accurate sound without getting an additional sub woofer? Maybe through a different set of speakers? I see that a lot of people pair these up with Aerial 7B's but then they get a sub with it anyways. Which seems weird cause the Aerials have a lower frequency response that shouldn't need it.

The guy at the audio store must not of got it when I said, "it sounds like it's kind of missing some low frequency tones". So i looked up the specs on the CM9 and it rolls everything off at 56hz. If i run a speaker that has a wider freq range (at the low end) is it gonna still sound that good? It was crisp and accurate, except the low end, that wasn't there. I listen to a lot of Rock, and Alt Rock, jazz, Pop, and the occasional classical so the accuracy and the staging was amazing to my ears but the lack of any heart thumping was very evident to me.

I also looked at the back of the S300i and noticed there was not an output for the sub. How are you supposed to wire it if this the necessary route? What is RMS power for this thing dial wise, I was listening to it at level 90 (goes up to 145) but I didn't push it past that except when the source CD or Iphone was paused to listen for noise. It didn't really seem like it was all that powerful to me compared to my old system, but I figured that had to do with the lack of low frequency response or that I didn't push it too hard.

I am looking for suggestions for a setup for this Amp, since I used to have huge Counterpoint separates that I got tired of moving (Don't know what I was thinking, it sounded awesome!) so any response would be great. I am looking to stay under budget of about 5K$ total and it seems like the S300 can be had for about 2K.

Opinions please!

Thanks in advance!
the1stdude

Showing 1 response by the1stdude

Thanks everybody! I will consider the S-300i, not sure what speakers, but I'm a little bummed at the money I need to spend to get the full frequency range I want.

Anyone seen problems with these?