Krell FPB 600 or 400cx?

I own Revel Ultima Salon 2s and am looking to upgrade my amp for better performance in the low end. Right now I'm just not getting any real punch or slam in the bass dept, and I know the Salons are capable of much more. I have the opportunity to go with a fpb 600 or the 400cx for around the same price. Any thoughts? Is the extra 200 watts of power on the 600 worth losing any sonic benefits of cx? Or is the cx so superior sonically that there's no comparison?

Thanks.

Josh
punishen1

Showing 3 responses by 2chnlben

and 2 S-275's

Matjet.

I started a previous thread looking for info on the S-150 and the S-275. I now have my sights set on the S-275. I cannot find any reviews...what is your take on this amp? I would run it in stereo (I assume since you have two you're running them in mono...?).

Anyway, this is the only relatively powerful Krell within my budget and I would love to hear about it from someone with experience...

Thank you.

_Ben
Matjet,

Thank you for your excellent information. Can you elaborate on CAST technology...(like, what is it!?)...also, on how to mate a preamp/processor with a CAST unit (i.e.: compatibility...what to look for).

I was planning to use my PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC as a preamp. Do you see any issues? Also, did you say that the S-275 as CAST technology?

Thanks again, and happy new year (Happy New Year to All of you sick twisted audiophiles - and I mean that in a very sincere way...tongue firmly planted in cheek!!)

Cheers!

_Ben
Ahh...I answered my own quest about what CAST is by visiting the Krell website. Very interesting...but can you really hear any discernable differences? Does anyone other than Krell utilize the CAST protocol? If not, one would necessarily need to mate a Krell preamp with a Krell amp to take advantage of the protocol...

Cool stuff...but beyond my budget threshhold

Cheers!

_Ben