Krell fpb-200 advice

I 'am about to buy a Krell fpb-200 (not c or cx) to get the best possible bass, dynamics, speed, accuracy, in this budget and in this frequency range, from my active bi-amp diy speakers (15 woofers/97db eff.) under 300Hz. Considering the very good efficiency of these woofers i think that 200w is sufficient comparing to the higher power fpb, isn't it?
I thought it was one of the best, that i avoid its supposed weaknesses as i will use it in this particular active config. and as i use a CJ mv75 for smoothness, presence etc.. above 300hz (midrange/highs soon to be replace by an ARC vt100/kt88) ; but i read here and there very mixed opinions, some says it's muddy, dull, that soundstage lacks depth and focus etc...
others that is simply musical with big slam, what i'am after in fact! Where's the Truth?
As I couldn't listen to it in my own system before I buy, I would very much appreciate your advices!
Any input is welcome, thanks!
juno

Showing 1 response by leg35al

Juno,

I've owned a Krell FPB200 in my main system (Wilson speakers & Audio Research preamps / Linn TT / Wadia CD player) since about 1995. This combination is perfect, for MY ears. That leads me to believe you might like the Krell with your CJ piece. The FPB series is fine for me, and 200 w. also suited my needs (classical, single instrument and chamber works).

I'd shopped around a bit, and decided on the Krell over a Levinson amp of that era. The Krell had a delicacy that the Levinson gear lacked (ML was "dark" in my system).

In my system, the Krell added transparency, by means of a certain leanness that I like. [Comparing amps is really a comparison of apples and oranges, however. In another system, I have just moved to Jeff Rowland for amplification and love that, TOO. But it is nothing at ALL like Krell. The Rowland combines subtlety and weight in a very intriguing way.]

Component matching, with the further confusion of "room" factors, is an art more than it is a science (although impedance problems create scientific issues).

I, for one, am VERY happy with the Krell FPB200 in the system in which I use it. Different ears with different downstream and upstream equipment might have a different opinion. In MY system, the Krell is NOT "dull", nor is it muddy or lacking in focus.

However, I also have made some serious investments in power cords. There's a plain Elrod EPS-3 on the Krell right now, Shunyata cords elsewhere. The Elrod brought significant improvement.