Koetsu Urushi Tsugaru vs. ZYX Airy R1000 3S

Hello,

I'm looking for a new cartridge and these are two of the finalist that I'm considering. I'm familiar with the Koetsu, as I've heard the Urushi several times and used to own a Rosewood Signature model a couple of years ago.

I've read a lot of good things about the ZYX cartridges, unfortunately I've never had a chance to listen to any ZYX cartridge. The model Airy R1000 3S is the one that intrigues me. I'd love to try the UNIverse, but that's way out of my league. I'm not spending more than $2500 new. From what I've read, the 3S (silver) is warmer and smoother than the 3X (copper) version. Is this accurate?

Has anyone out there had a chance to audition/own these two cartridges? What are your impressions/listening bias?

I tend to prefer a warmer tonal presentation, than try to extract that last ounce of detail buried in the vinyl.

Cheers,
John
128x128jmcgrogan2

Showing 2 responses by lewm

Dear Yve, Be careful, there are a many here who take pleasure in dumping on Koetsu cartridges of all types, even the Urushi. Many of those who do so are ZYX-philes. (I actually like the ZYX UNiverse, too, and very much. It's just different from Urushi.) I have owned my Urushi for many years, and I agree with you on its virtues. I have been running mine in a Triplanar, but I lately have come to think that it may do even better in a tonearm with higher effective mass. Or I may just add some mass to the TP. What tonearm do you use? Thx.
Dear John, There is not one word of your post with which I would disagree. For me to say that many who categorically do not like Koetsu cartridges happen to be ZYX-philes has no bearing on your summary statement, except that in your construct such persons might be said to own relatively warm sounding systems that benefit from the more clinical sound of the ZYX. (I would not want to go overboard with that seemingly negative descriptor for ZYX, as I am also very fond of the UNIverse, in a system that is nearly a carbon copy of my own.) I would only take issue with your lumping of the Transfiguration cartridges with Benz and Koetsu. IMO, Transfiguration cartridges as a group are among the most truly neutral I have ever heard, neither warm nor clinical. And oddly enough, I do not care for Benz cartridges, as a rule, although I have not heard any of their latest models. But I agree with your grouping the Benz "sound" with the Koetsu sound. Peace. Out.