Koetsu Urushi Tsugaru vs. ZYX Airy R1000 3S

Hello,

I'm looking for a new cartridge and these are two of the finalist that I'm considering. I'm familiar with the Koetsu, as I've heard the Urushi several times and used to own a Rosewood Signature model a couple of years ago.

I've read a lot of good things about the ZYX cartridges, unfortunately I've never had a chance to listen to any ZYX cartridge. The model Airy R1000 3S is the one that intrigues me. I'd love to try the UNIverse, but that's way out of my league. I'm not spending more than $2500 new. From what I've read, the 3S (silver) is warmer and smoother than the 3X (copper) version. Is this accurate?

Has anyone out there had a chance to audition/own these two cartridges? What are your impressions/listening bias?

I tend to prefer a warmer tonal presentation, than try to extract that last ounce of detail buried in the vinyl.

Cheers,
John
128x128jmcgrogan2

Showing 1 response by bryanp

Greetings
I have owned a Koetsu Rosewood and RWS. I now own a ZYX Airy 3 silver. It is in a total different league then the Koetsu I have owned.
I am delighted with the sound I am hearing. I have no need to upgrade, for the first time in over 10 years.
Enjoy
Bryan