JVC TT-101 Won't Stop

The Stop button on my recently purchased QL-10 doesn't work. It worked at first after the TT warmed up, but then quit completely. I since have replaced all 37 electrolytic caps on 3 boards, but it made no difference. The power voltages are correct. The button itself is fine and shorts pins 6 and 9 of the P8 connector on the main board, but the motor doesn't stop. What could be wrong? Any particular transistor or adjustment? Please help! -Alex
safesphere

Showing 17 responses by best-groove

@lewm  I have read a lot in the world of the problems that happen to this turntable and I have to note that all problems are the same and similar; maybe you were unlucky with the break of the pcb and I have not read of other cases equal to yours but never other turntables like this have had a lot of problems like the TT-101.
Turntable that sounds good (when it works) but so delicate too delicate and problematic ... it is easy to understand it by reading the defects that happen.
I can refurb 2.5 SP-10MK3 in the time it takes me to do a single TT-101 right.

I have no doubt .... the pcb of the TT-101 is a real curse for the time spent looking for faults.
@jpjones3318

Of course ... the TT-101 is 40 years old but other turntables that have the same years as the TT-101 have few or no problems even in the joints of the welds; maybe the PCBs of other turntables are not igorscopiche? I am thinking, for example, of the usual Technics SP 10 and others of the past.

The TT-101 from what I have seen has a motherboard with tracks only at the bottom and some tracks on the upper side; There are several individual cables that pass through the pcb from one point to another in the upper side.

I consider very little reliable multi-wire connectors that move not having a clip that keeps them still, the same I think for the cables become too rigid with the passage of time.I am inclined to replace the multi-connectors with Molex or other types of mini-connectors and, only where it is possible to replace all the cables .... then we will switch to the damns solderings
@lewm 

Does this mean that the TT-101 if it is not placed in a heated and dehumidified environment makes the whims like children? Wowww
Ummm.... Best-groove, what are you trying to prove?

I do not want to prove anything I'm only slightly worried if my TT-101 will be repaired; I'm not going to want to keep a dry and warm place just for him, but I'm also amused because I will have for the first time a very metereopatic electronic product.
@gary7  

It seems an excellent result, plus the pot does not turn slightly backwards after the stop as I saw in several videos.  ;)
@gary7

does the selector work to display the rpm that is placed under the plate?
@gary7I

saw the video, I could be wrong but I think that once the speed of 33.33 Rpm has been reached, the display should remain locked at the speed and not restart.It would serve the opinion of TT-101 owners working as @lewm 
You're wrong. Not in this mode

ahhh ook no problems; but this then? It remains blocked means that is that improvement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rqmmcms1Tc

@gary7     

did you take pictures at the points where you intervened to get a good repair?
@gary7 what is SM? You have also replaced cables?  I notice that some seem new or fairly recent.

I would like to delete all the wiew wrap contacts and connect pins with contacts to detach; this would facilitate further maintenance by excluding all the tangle of cables.
It would be a heroic effort, either way.

surely; but once the master is done the road is all downhill
Some of these circuits are affected by lead length, just to begin with.

are you sure of 100% of what you say?
conductor geometry
it would be sufficient to replicate the awg of the internal cables, I see no difficulty because they do not have shielding.

As regards the pcb I see that lately an ebayer sells the originals for Technics sp 10MK2 at prices between 350/450 €
Those who could replicate these or those of the TT-101 could do a good business by selling them at less cost.