jeff rowland 501 & 201 vs. bel canto ref1000

I am looking for anyone that has compared the three and your opinions on them.

I'm looking to step up from a bel canto s300i. Using gallo ref 3.1's

Any input will be appreciated.

thanks
him

Showing 1 response by kenk168

I once owned the BC Ref 1K MKI for over 6 months. At first, I was flabergasted by the thick and chunky midrange and the overall power. However, I found that soundstage was truncated and there was a lack of air on top. And while bass was strong, it didn't have the pacing and definition as well as startling factors I was looking for. So, I sold it and brought home a Nuforce MCH3SE to try and figured if it doesn't perform, it'll be put back on Agon for sale.

Long story short, the Nuforce stayed and has been so for over 1 year. My impression is that it presented a much bigger soundstage in size, breadth and depth. Clarity and instrumental separation as well as voices are on a different league entirely. There's plenty of air and sparkle at the top when available in the recording. Resolution was much enhanced through out the range. Bass has plenty of speed, definition and PRAT, etc... Midrange was layered, textured and clean but not lean--just the way I like it. Among others, the dynamic capability be it micro or macro is quite unbelievable. Overall, I didn't expect much of a change since they're both class D amps but boy was I wrong.

One caveat though, the Nuforce requires that you look at the rest of your systems for possible lack of synergy. If you're willing to pair them with cablings that's neutral or slightly to the warm side of neutral, then all is good. Also, component footers need not be the hard and spiky variety but perhaps something more neutral or warmish, then you'll get musical performances worthy of your time and investment. Like with all equipments, do the yin/yang balance right and you'll enjoy yourselves. However, with the Nuforce, it is much more so because it is a precision music making machine the requires that you calibrate the rest of your system up to its standard.

Just my take,

Kenobi