Jazz for someone who doesn't like jazz.

I've toyed with the idea of looking into jazz. Not sure why. Not sure what I'm looking for. Maybe just something to sound good on my system. I realize jazz is a broad category but much of what I hear I have not been attracted to. Don't ask me what I've heard.
What I'd like is a recommendation of two or three albums to start with. (I know that's insane)

And since I've given next to nothing to go on I'll point out a few things that I do like that might help narrow it down some maybe.

Jazz-like stuff I do like: Steely Dan. Almost all of their stuff. Van Morrison's jazz influenced stuff like Astral Weeks.
I like blues. Delta and hill country hard core blues.

I like a wide variety of rock from heavy metal, to prog rock to classic R&B.
Does any of that help? I know this is a crazy request but if I could get some recommendations I'll at least have somewhere to start. Not looking for specific recordings yet. Just content. When I find what I like I'll research the best recordings.
Thanks for any possible advice.
George

n80
Oh , how could I forget Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, They have So many good albums and many are very different
Studio albums[edit]Live albums[edit]
You'll find them categorized as Jazz/Country/Folk/Bluegrass
2nd Herbie Hancock Headhunter and Donald Byrd Blackbird as easy to listen to, if you like female vocalists check out Cold blood, Lydia Pense singing "I’m a good woman"
Always thought John Mayall’s Turning point was more jazz than the blues he is known for, lots of great stuff on offer but none of those 3 mentioned above are way out there
good listening ,be safe.
frothy
tune on John Mayall LP to check out is "California"
  • "If you really hate jazz, listen to Kenny G. Every real jazz musician and jazz fan hates Kenny G."

I agree. However, I saw Kenny G. on the old Arcineo Hall show one night when he played without all of the electronics and digital reverb. The guy sounded fantastic. I was pleasantly surprised.  

Frank
Thanks again guys. This is why I always come back to Audiogon, even when I've been gone for a while. You guys have given me days of listening "assignments". Random thoughts so far:

I like Miles Davis' Kind of Blue. Easy to listen to. Heard some of it before. But it isn't pulling me in deep. I will keep listening. Often my favorite music takes a while to hook me.

Listening to Ronnie Earl right now. I dig it but if no one had told me I would have just called it straight up blues.

Great idea about the Ken Burns documentary. I've watched quite a few episodes of the country music documentary and enjoyed them all even though I don't like country music. So the one on jazz should be perfect for someone who is trying to develop a taste for it. I wish he would do a full series on the blues!

Still exploring Marcus Miller. Some of it is too funky for me.

Listened to some of Brubeck's Time Out. Recognized a lot of those songs. Will definitely go back to that.

For some reason I find I'm not into female vocals much. Its never been a conscious thing. But, even looking back at my current music collection there just aren't a lot of female vocalists. I do like Nina Simone but for whatever reason some of the other female vocalists recommended here just don't do it for me.

Anyway, looking forward to moving down through these recommendations and again, I sincerely appreciate them.
George