Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

"Modern jazz" is the musical expression of complex emotion, and some emotions are even two complex for words, that why we have music without words, which a lot of lame people can not dig; that's the way it is.

"Round Midnight" is best without words, that's the way it was meant to be, and that's why Thelonious Monk plays it different, every time he plays it. As a matter of fact, lame people refer to jazz as "That music without words."

This is one of the most beautiful versions of "Round Midnight" ever; it comes on like a cool Summer breeze, on a hot July night "Round Midnight", and instead of a midnight marauder on this night in the city, you could possibly run into the girl of your dreams, or in the case of Mary-jo, the guy of her dreams. This music is full of romance; some get it and some don't; that's always the way it is with jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1Xozvcf0FA

This is a cool tune by "Eddie Harris", he was a most creative person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wLSlaP8MOQ

This was recorded in 69, that was a far out year; it was the one some people lost track of, but you would have had to have been there and into things that caused one to lose track of time.

It's a funny thing, but I'm not in this present time, it's just going on without me.