Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
geoffkait Thanks for the clarification. I guess I didn't Dig Deep enough into the article. Were those Savoy CDs the ones you were concerned about sound quality? Or is it anything that RVG did prior to 1959?  I may have something on Savoy CD or vinyl engineered by RVG prior to 1959, will have to check into that

orpheus10Right RVG  Had the musicians and I'm damn glad he did!!
Question: I saw some debate about who was the leader on Something Else? Miles or Cannonball.  I couldn't locate my LP copy to answer this question. My question is : who wrote the tunes on the lp that weren't standards. If it was all miles or all Cannonball for the other tunes that would give an indication of who was the leader.

Nsp, Somethin' Else is a jazz album by saxophonist Julian "Cannonball" Adderley, released on Blue Note Records in 1958. Also on the session is trumpeter Miles Davis in one of his handful of recording dates for Blue Note.

Sideman definition, (Jazz) a member of a band or a jazz group other than the leader. I believe Miles Davis qualifies as a "sideman" on that album.

Miles Davis wrote the title tune, and that was all he wrote on that album, but it was a very good tune.

nsp, re your question:

You should probably read the whole article since the author’s is actually a pretty sober outlook on RVG’s legacy. He is not putting down the sound quality of RVG’s work. He is simply making the point that RVG’s most important contribution to music and the recording art is that due to his affordable rates he was able to facilitate recordings by many great emerging Jazz artists that would not have been able to record otherwise. These emerging artists, who did not have contracts with the large labels like Columbia, would not have been able to afford to record so many of the records that we now consider classics. His recordings had a certain sound that was in great part the result of his limited resources, equipment and recording space wise. The sound was up close and intimate. However, his sound and his general approach had detractors including musicians who refused to record for him because they felt that he altered their personal sound. As is to be expected, some of these recordings sounded good, even great, and some didn’t sound so good. When one considers the sheer volume of recordings that he produced for the above reason, it is no wonder that there are many good sounding RVG recordings.

The author’s contention that RVG was not a recording pioneer or genius is borne out by the simple fact that, as you yourself point out, there were other labels/engineers producing records that sounded as good or better. You are correct that having more and better equipment and larger spaces does not guarantee a good sounding product. That was not at all what he was claiming. A talented engineer with access to better equipment and a better recording space will surely have a better chance of producing a better sounding recording than if he has to use inferior equipment in an inferior space. I think we can all agree that the large record labels and their engineers also produced great (some would say better) sounding records.

Re “Somethin Else”:

I am reminded of when my then Cub Scout son participated in his troupe’s “Pinewood Derby”. Each scout is given a block of wood, four nails and four plastic wheels. The challenge is to fashion a race car using only those materials while following strict guidelines as to dimensions and weight. The cars are then raced. All sorts of tweaks are permissible to make the car travel as fast as possible. A great opportunity for father/son interaction with the goal being to help the child while making sure that it is still HIS effort, HIS car. Well, you can imagine how easy it is for a father to take over and actually do most of the work while “helping” the child. The level of wood working and painting skill that some of the race cars demonstrated made it obvious that it was the father who had fashioned the car, not the young child.

I gave several specific and detailed reasons that to me were indications that Miles was actually the “father” on the date. You can read those in my previous post on the subject:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/jazz-for-aficionados/post?highlight=Somethin%2BElse&posti...

I would ask those challenging this opinion to, in light of the above, give specific and detailed reasons other than the fact that Cannoball’s name is on the album jacket that are indications that it is Cannonball who is the leader; that it is his car. Btw, Cannonball wrote only one tune on the record.