Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

The ability to play jazz to me is remarkable, but the ability to hear jazz is just as remarkable.

When I began to like jazz more than all other genres of music, I thought I was some kind of freak because everybody else liked some other genre of music; but now I know that it takes a remarkable mind to appreciate jazz, and those are in the minority.

Without a doubt, the best jazz was created in the 50's and the 60's. Fortunately for us, there was so much created by different artists, we wont live long enough to hear it all. Today I would like to feature an excellent artist we haven't touched on; "Horace Parlan".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horace_Parlan

"Speaking My Piece" featuring the Horace Parlan Quintet;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5A6_8sG6LU

o10, "we won't live long enough to hear it all".

That's a sobering thought, but one which us older aficionados must face.  As I believe I've mentioned here my music collection includes around 3,000 LPs and maybe 500 CDs.  Because of my broad tastes they include several genres of music, not just jazz.  

There is no reasonable way that I'm going to listen to all that now at my age.  That thought resulted in two decisions.  First, to practically eliminate the purchase of any additional recordings.  Yes, there may be newer, or older music I don't have, which I might enjoy owning.  But would that enjoyment be enough to push aside an old favorite?  It would need to be something exceptional.

The second thing is to reduce my collection by at least half.  That will still leave a sizable collection I know, but hopefully it will allow a good selection of favorites to suit any listening mood.

So I've begun the arduous task of sorting my collection, which has not been as easy as I thought it might be.  I'm nearly finished with the jazz and blues CDs.  If anyone is interested contact me privately, I'll have a list and they'll be reasonably priced.  Like o10, my favorite jazz came out to the '50s and '60s, but my collection is broader than that.

Pryso I must have been on a record buying binge just before CD's came out, and bought them faster than I played them.

After CD's came out, I had to hear the new sound; it was better than records according to my rig at that time; consequently I went to CD's. It hasn't been that long that my analog is better than digital; now I'm discovering that I've got a lot of new vinyl that I never played, one record worth $180., but doubt if I will sell.

Although I'm late to the vinyl resurgence, I'm really enjoying it.

While I'm not buying or selling presently, this is a good time to be selling; you might have records that are worth a lot more than you think.