Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
nsp, sorry but I just realized I never confirmed your question about the Chevy pictured with that video.  Yes, it was a 1958 Impala.  That was the first year the Impala replaced the Bel-Air as their top model.  A friend in HS had a turquoise '58 Impala convertible.  I was green with envy, but didn't have the long green to buy one. :^(

Speaking of the late '50s, early '60s era, anyone here remember the 45 changers available as automotive accessories then?  I knew someone who had one in his '56 Bel-Air convertible but only ever heard it playing records while parked curbside.  I wondered how well it did driving over anything but the smoothest streets?
Thanks @alexatpos
An interesting read. On the first link to Blue Bossa, right at the start of his solo (exactly at 1:01), is the trumpet player, Kenny Dorham, intentionally overblowing to get that (almost trill-like) distortion or is that a defect in the recording posted to You Tube? His tone is mostly clean later in the solo. Anybody know?

No defect. That is called flutter tonguing and is used for musical effect; can be done on any wind instrument. Imagine saying the word “Arriba!” and rolling the r’s, not in the stereotyoical way an Anglo might, but the way a native would. The player does the same thing with the toungue while blowing into the horn.

Fantastic Henderson clips; all classics. Thanks for those, Alex and ghosthouse. Amazing player and one of the giants; up there with Rollins and Trane, imo. Love that beautiful blend of funkiness with control and harmonic inventiveness. One of my favorite tenor tones.
This record is Henderson at the very peak of his creative and inventive genius, imo.  Warning: bass solos and no piano 😎:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gvksR_tcAKk

I posted this previously. One of my very favorite jazz records:

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMD9X0rJLX6bVX8SIMSmPlVv_PAFx3v85
Thanks for that explanation, Frogman (as well as the additional Henderson albums).