Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
mary_jo, if you didn't go back reading posts prior to the time you joined us then you missed by background with Satchmo.

He was my dad's favorite musician so I heard lots of him while growing up.  By my teenage years I was into R&R and failed to appreciate all that Armstrong meant.  Even as I evolved into a jazz fan I considered his music to be too "old fashioned" to be worthwhile.  It took me a few decades but eventually I realized what a huge talent he was and what he meant to the foundations of modern jazz.

Let me offer one I consider to be a classic.  I have it in a 78 album dad played.  Teagarden was tops too -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQm-2N-TW24

Yes, good to see you back mary_ jo.

And, yes, a few hiccups. I think they have stopped; for now. “Hipo”, “hiccup” in Spanish. Interesting how both words can be onomatopoeia in two different languages while still sounding similar and with similar rhythm. Great Louie/Sinatra clip; no hiccups there. Same language from both singers, but two different rhythm feels. Fascinating how at 1:13 when Louie starts to sing the tempo of the music seems to slow down. It doesn’t really, but Louis’ singing is so relaxed and “in the pocket” compared to Sinatra who sings slightly ahead of the beat of the band that things seem to slow down. On the dance floor and according to the Urban Dictionary that would be a classic case of “WMRD”; and Sinatra had it less than most 😊. Thanks for the great clips.

pryso, you have no idea what memories that Jeff Beck clip brings back; some better to keep private. He was still using a pick back then. What an amazing and expressive player he is.

bluesy41, great stuff. Like Jeff Beck, another amazing player who did things on his intrument that shouldn’t be possible. How is it possible to slide from one note to another on a B3? It isn’t, but Jimmy Smith somehow can create that illusion. And what a great feel-good sense of swing. Love it.

jkittlesen, one of my very favorite records. How sad for a player like this to be gone at age 25! Another favorite from that great record:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oQvsXgfEdo0

Bowie, “Papa’s.....”:

First Bowie clip posted here recently that didn’t do it for me.  Somehow, being used to the “seriousness” of the kind of groove that James Brown and his band could set up doesn’t mesh with the humor that Bowie tries to bring to the tune.  We don’t need no stinking humor!!! :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QE5D2hJhacU

*****We don’t need no stinking humor!!! :*****

Actually, some of you do.

Cheers