Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Thanks frog, I hoped you would follow up.

Yes, I knew that Mingus Dynasty was not a specific group of players, but drawn from those available in a larger collection. I suspect every member of that collection is a top flight musician, and so there is no let down regardless of who participates at a given time.

I came away with two major impressions regarding the musicians.

First, the two who I would say were most "underrated" (to keep with our theme here) were Hill and Cruz. Hill was extremely dynamic in the sense of loud to soft. On some numbers his emotion coiled up and sprang from his body as he bounced about in front of and over the keys. Yet other times he barely whispered the notes. All with feeling and in tune (thematically) with the other musicians. Cruz was simply cool and nonchalant, overall effortless while keeping perfect time with creative steady and dynamic moves.

And not to be politically incorrect, but I was impressed that two Russian born musicians (Alex and Boris) who immigrated to the US displayed such depth and feeling for music written by Mingus. This was seemingly in defiance of some comments on this site about influence of background as it relates to or might limit jazz expression.

But that’s just my view.

Frogman, assuming I'm 18, and decide to become a jazz musician. I could go to Juilliard School of music, and graduate with honors as being one of the best on my instrument; that would not make me a jazz musician of note for sure.

The ability to start with a blank sheet of paper and create something is reserved for the very few.

There are jazz musicians of note who never went to any school, but they could create; that's a special ability that few of us have.

While I could excel at playing someone else's music without a doubt, the question of whether or not I could improvise on the spot, and also create "new" music would determine my rating as a jazz musician.

You say I'm stuck in the past; well I've been stuck for a long time, and all these new records that get no play verify that; the records that get posted on this forum that I've only heard for the first time, that I rave about as must have records, also verify my reality as being one that's in the past.

I think you have made a very good assessment and evaluation of my taste in music, it's in the past.
A very fun, and in my opinion underrated (by some) album which I remember because my wild and crazy N.Y.C. "bohemian" aunt on my Mom’s side hung out with these guys "back in the day," brought me a copy of the newly-pressed, Soul featuring Coleman Hawkins- recorded in 1958 on Prestige. In addition to Hawkins, all the other players are first tier. She would tell me about this sax player called " The Hawk." (and about some of other players she knew)

A lot of things seemed simpler then....
I find Hawkin’s work irresistible to this day.

My aunt also gave me a copy of MJQ’s "No Sun In Venice" which I still have. It’s virtually unplayable because it’s so worn out, so now I stream it. I vividly remember the impact those tunes had on me.

"The Past Is Never Dead.  It's Not Even Past."
William Faulkner

This is esp true in the South.   So I am actually stuck in what some call the past, but I call the present.  I always use the present tense when talking about these folks.

Cheers
For me, one of the challenges, but great joys of living longer, is the increasing number of layers my mind and spirit accrues, and learning to process all that information.

What was then becomes what is now. There's a cliche- one foot in the past and one in the future-  or some damn notion or other which speaks to that.

Every day gives us new opportunities.  And, eventually we are gone.
:)
Cheers from the great Puget Sound.