Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

There are more than usual the number of jazz reviews in "Stereophile" this month: Chicago/London Underground, A Night Walking Through Mirrors; Gerald Clayton, Tributary Tales; Chris Pottter, The Dreamer is The Dream; Jason Rigby & Detroit-Cleveland Trio; followed by Ralph Towner, My Foolish Heart.

Since I have a busy weekend, feel free to review and inform us of any of those that you choose.

Enjoy the music.
I just got turned on to Karen Souza who I am listening to round the clock.   She does covers of popular music with a decidedly jazz spin.  
Acman, liked the last Tequilla 'shot' too.
Make me think of another one...its not jazz, but its fine...

https://youtu.be/Uedw8ErZ3ak

Frogman, well written post. 
Still, one sentence made me want to add the thought....
It is when you mentioned the ' coziness of consonance and easily followed and understood musical lines and harmonies' and  the way the Coltrane played before the death.

Another sax player came to my mind, Ike Quebec and his last album, recorded in the almost same sad sitauation as Coltrane's.

Of course, they played 'different' style of music, but Quebec chose to record 'Soul Samba', which to uninformed listener may sound exactly the way you describe time that was absent when Coltrane played.

And, yet, I have a same feeling about it, like you have with Coltrane's last work.
Almost reluctance to listen it, aldo is one of my favorite albums, becuse of such profound emotions that are 'packed' in and effect they have on me.

What I wanted to say is that sometimes the form can be 'simple' like drinking cup of tea, but that still can be a zen experience.

Sometimes I like to think (perhaps I am wrong) that many records and music  transcends its original form, because of emotion, artistry or just inspiration of that moment and it allows us to feel the hidden depths of 'beauty and soul'

It is very seductive feeling and I am very aware of it, looking at it from 'bigger picture' of what else music may represent, but also I think it is the basic root behind of all your and Orpheus 'discussion'

Heavy Soul was recorded November 26, 1961; his death was in January of 63. Soul Samba was recorded in 1962, released in 1962; both albums were released in 1962, but Soul Samba was also recorded in 1962

Heavy Soul was released in mid March of 62, and I remember owning it in the Summer of 63; but I can't remember if I had Ike Quebec before the "Trane" set or not. Winter; was it before or after January, I can't remember; Winter 62 or 63, can be days apart. if it was after January it was 63. Since my mind tells time by the four seasons; Summer, Winter, Spring, and Fall; first I have to pinpoint the season the event occurred in. (that's the way my memory works, confusing, ain't it)

I thought "Heavy Soul" was the last album, because the artists knew Ike had cancer, you can even hear it in the music; especially in Freddie Roach's organ, but it wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7h85fVLvG8

Enjoy the music.