It's time for a new button on Audiogon

Currently, when selling an item, one has three choices in the listing, buy it now, offer, offer and buy it now.

I prefer to vet my future trading partners, however my ads always say "price is firm". In the ad that I am currently running, for a most inexpensive piece of gear, I have had three offers, all well below asking price. I won't respond, as I have been clear in the body of the ad that the price is firm. In some way, this wastes the potential trading partner's time and mine. Why can't Audiogon add a "full price offer" button?

One would still get to vet potential buyers, buyers would understand that the only option is to make a full price offer, just as they do with the "buy it now" option, and those potential buyers that are uncomfortable with the preconditions would be smart enough not to respond at all.

It seems like this option would solve several problems.

Thoughts?
128x128viridian

Showing 1 response by br3098

Interesting post and responses. Personally, I will almost never buy anything where the ad lists "price is firm"; not because I think that the item is priced too high (although that is often the case), but because it represents to me a basic inflexibility on the part of the seller.

As a seller, I understand that we think that we know what our gear is really worth. But we don't, unless we are offering something extremely rare of one-of-a-kind. Value (e.g. selling price) commodity and luxury products is always ultimately determined by the buyer. In happy circumstances, both parties agree and an easy transaction os reached. But there are a lot of reasons why buyers prefer to see a little flexibility on the part of the seller, including:

1- Psychological win - some (many) buyers just need to "win" the deal. I'm not talking about getting your $4,000 amp for $100, but I have made many deals by offering just a little less than my asking price. Buyers need to feel that they are in control of the transaction. You can dismiss this idea, but I guarantee that stubborn buyers sell less gear.

2- Regional price differences - I get to travel quite a bit for my business, and I will tell you that there are significant differences in the perceived value for certain audio products in different parts of the country and internationally. The internet has helped to flatten this out a bit, but local and regional perceptions of value still exist. You can ignore it, but you will sell less gear.

Also, haggling is more common in certain parts of the country. I live in Southern California where we have a rich immigrant culture. Price haggling is a way of life here, as it is in New York City and other culturally diverse spots. Try that is a small antique store in Vermont and see how far it gets you (just an example - I'm not picking on anyone from Vermont. I'm sure that there are many fine hagglers there. It's just that I haven't met any...)

3- Clueless seller - a lot of guys simply do not really know what their gear is really worth, price it too high and/or set unacceptable terms and conditions, and then become indignant when no one offers them what they are convinced tit is worth. A little research is good in this case, but a little flexibility is probably worth more. The goal is to sell the gear, is it not?

4- Sellers who love the gear that they are selling. A special case of No. 3, above.

Some sellers will say that they simply hate the negotiating or haggling process. I suspect that these sellers just hate selling, and are looking to make the transaction easy and painless on their part. That's understandable, if not for the fact that most of your buyers will not share your views. IMO, a buyer who won't negotiate is anything but easy and painless to deal with.

Remember, no one needs high end audio gear. These items are luxuries, and the market varies almost a day-by-day due to economic conditions, weather, pollen count or what someone had for breakfast. Have you ever seen a used Ferrarri dealer that won't deal, or a shop selling estate jewelry that won't negotiate?

So my unsolicited advise if to grow some thicker skin and consider being a little more flexible. Or find someone else to sell your gear that has no personal stake in the transaction. I have replied "Thanks, but no thanks" to many buyers but have subsequently been able to conclude a successful sale.