Is there Really a difference between a Krell 400xi intergrated amp and the newer Vandgard?

I currently own a Krell 400xi intergrated amp. It has 200 watts a 750k toroidal, balanced inputs, etc. Its very similar to the current vanguard intergrated amp in terms of similar spec's. I would like to know if anyone upgraded and if it was worth it? Is the sound different does it go lower, deeper, more of an open sound stage or should I just consider another route to improve what I already have.

thanks,

matt00

Showing 5 responses by carmenc

......clarification, the best MIT or Transparent cables you can afford.  Good luck.

dave_b is who you want to hear from.  He is very knowledgable about the Krell integrated amps as well as MIT cables.  Based on my experience with Thiels, Krell and MIT, he is spot on.  Hopefully he'll post here soon.  Regards.
Jafant......yes, Krell and MIT have a long history with Thiels.  I've read that the Vandguard integrated is the real deal; resolution, warmth, not sterile, powerful at 200 w/channel ( 400 @ 4 ohms ) and harmonically accurate.  I would think this amp and the best MITs or Transparent cables would synergize quite well with your Thiel CS2.4se.  Another integrated to research is the Belles Soloist 1.  I had one and it was full and rich sounding with lots of power.  Enjoy your journey.

Research dave_b and his take on the difference between the Krell 400xi and the Vanguard.  I don't believe we're off topic here.  Research, research and listen for yourself.  Why regurgitate all of this when there is great insight that exists within these forums?  Best regards.

+1 @ dave_b.  I'm with you.  Where some of this garbage comes from is beyond me.  A note to those who care to listen, do your research prior to spewing.

Regards.............