Is there a difference?

I have never had nor heard a $50,000 audio system,probably never will.Have heard systems in the $5,000 range,not mine but a few friends.Was wondering from those who may know how big a difference is there in sound quality from those two price points per say and how much would one need to spend in your opinions to have I guess you would say musical bliss?
john421

Showing 8 responses by john421

Yes I understand not putting a price on good sound,guess we'd all be having boom boxes!Yet I have had members compliment me on my small vintage system,I like how it sounds for as little I paid for it.But have had just as many on this forum bash my system and say it's junk.So it would seem some do determine the sound based on how much it costs.
Zd542,I agree.My system cost less than $100 total and I'm happy with it.Not that if money allows that I wouldn't tweak and upgrade.
Paid $5.00 for a vintage NAD 3020 pretty much mint,never a problem and had it checked and minor service.Hafler 220,pretty much mint as well, $40 and serviced no problem.Technics SL-1900 near mint,even dust cover is almost perfect with only a couple swirls $20.Need to upgrade the cart though.Celestion DL4 II $15,near mint but would like a speaker with tad more bass and detail.
I'm not naive enough to think my simple vintage budget system can compete with costlier systems.But I do believe for as little I paid it sounds rather good.Money doesn't grow on a tree in my yard either.I realize that to some on this thread my system wouldn't appeal sound wise.
Like the sound of tube equipment but they are a bit out of my price range.Not that I'm frugal,just a lot of money too invest.Maybe one day I could afford that type of system.