Is the Oppo-105 with Modwright modifications

As good as they say it is. I was talking to a dealer today and he said you can't have a state of the art product when you start with crap. He said the Saber DAC's were junk and I'd be wasting my money doing the Modwright upgrades. On the other hand I have heard people rave about it. What is your take on this player and the Modwright upgrades? Am I better off buying a high-end used CD player without a warranty. I like the Idea of a modded player but I don't want to be disappointed and take a big loss.
taters

Showing 1 response by dougmc

Taters,

You live in southern California and you want to audition a Modwright Oppo 105.

The last time I talked to Dan Wright, about a month ago, he was definitely planning to exhibit at the T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach (May 29 - June 2). I'm sure he will bring his own brand amp and pre-amp. Not sure about the Oppo 105, but give Dan a call and ask.

I also live in S. Cal. and own a Modwright Sony 5400ES, with which I'm very satisfied.

Don't summarily dismiss Ric Schultz and EVS. He does not have quite as high a profile as Dan, but many Audiogoners have expressed satisfaction with his work. Search his name in the archives. One thing to consider is that Ric does not incorporate tubes into his mod, whereas Dan does. Depends on how you feel about tubes and how a tube front end would work within your system.