Is it normal for the woofer to move in/out slowly

My only tubed piece is the pre-amp. It is the only piece I turn off when not in use. I noticed that when I turn it off the woofers on my speakers move in and out rather slowly while I hear what I assume are the tubes discharging.

Is that normal and more importantly can it cause damage to the speakers?

Thanks
bokfudo

What you are describing happens to my woofers when I turn my power amp ON. I don't have any tubed gear though, so it may not be a good comparison. I'm not an expert, but I don't think this would cause damage unless it happened for an extended period of time (i.e. overheat voice coil?). Maybe someone else can correct/confirm that.
On your pre amp do you have a mute switch;if so I would mute first and then power off to see if it happens.
Do your amp(s) have a standby switch? It seems to me that you are seeing the affects of the pre amp tubes bleeding down and the power amp(s) is passing that affect to the woofer.As far a damage I would not think that would cause any.
IMO it is asking for trouble turning off a pre amp while the amps are on. Why do you turn it off? Maybe I am old school, but I have always left my pre amps on.