Is good customer service about dead?

I’d like to know from other members of Audiogon how they find customer service today. Not the resellers so much as the manufacturers themselves. I had a bad experience with a really late delivery. I also have a tone arm I bought in a first production run when a setup manual was not yet available – the manufacturer will not respond to my emails. I wanted to audition a rather expensive pair of speakers that were not available in my area. I contacted the manufacturer (from his own website) to ask where I could go to audition and purchase these – but no response. I have however had amazing support from the good folks at VAC and Jeff Rowland.
So I am now searching for new speakers but customer service is my first criteria and everything else is second. I'll be looking in the 5K-10K price range. I’d be very interested in other people’s experiences.
dat1

Showing 5 responses by jp1208

Dat1 and I had the same experience from the same company. Ty Lashbrook was awesome to deal with and have heard nothing but praise from Salk and Selah. Sorry for the late reply but some of you were engaged in the thread I was in that turned nasty and was shut down. If any of you want more details just email me. [email protected]
Vapor1, are you kidding? Pete Schumacher emailed me and said Vapor Audio does not have that kind of cash laying around for a refund. I expected to box these up, get you the tracking info and have you paypal me the same way I sent you my payment. You declined my offer due to not having the cash on hand. I didn't decline a refund, so as soon as you have enough cash on hand please paypal me and these will gladly be back on the next UPS truck direct to your front door. Your offer to find a buyer for the speakers was declined because it's your way or no way and I have to jump through your hoops. I trusted you when I made final payment on the 6k pair of Cirrus speakers but it seems you can't trust me now. I think my transaction record here speaks for itself.
Ghasley, Once they had a buyer for the speakers then they would have the funds but there is no way I was going to send these speakers without payment first. Vapor wants to use an escrow company, then have me ship the speakers to them so they can inspect for damage. After this is done they would then release the funds if the speakers came in clean. I can find a buyer and take less risk like Dat1 did.

I am also sorry for not taking a little higher road in the last thread but there are limits to the amount of bull I can handle. Lesson learned again! I have name called in the forums before and should have known better what was going to happen. I swear it's the dark irish in me. LOL

As far as the amps go, Dennis from D-sonic finally got them back but had to use the forums to get it done because phone calls and emails were going nowhere. I saw him in 3 different forum sites and was on a mission.

Anyways, I will give a pop for Vapor Audio's Cirrus speaker as an amazing sounding monitor. Mine have a great mid hall sound, huge stage,with top notch decay. When the music gets real busy they stay nice and poised. The bass is uncanny for the one 7" AT woofer. The vocals and acoustical music will be tough to match in this price range. Dynamics are not over done with this set so when you crank it up it is not overbearing. Poised keeps coming to mind. I think Dat1 can vouch for some of these comments.

With that being said I would box these up and ship them back without hesitation because nothing sounds that good to make you forget about the frustrations.

I know companies can bounce back from these things and become stronger than ever. It has been done before. The speakers themselves can without a doubt hold this company together but the customer service side or bedside manner needs help. I don't want to see Vapor Vaporized but if they keep making promises they can't keep and can't be upfront with the customer then they will have a harder time keeping the doors open.

So, no I don't think customer service is dead, I just think it is still being learned!
Paul, you were offered FULL refund and we made it clear that we have a buyer ready now. I always have a list of people wanting a pair immediately.
Vapor1, you only had a possible buyer from Canada when you made your so called "FULL REFUND" offer and were waiting for more details. You said I can enjoy my speakers while I waited. Of course you are going to say the person is NOW ready in this thread but I never agreed to your offer in the first place and only questioned it. This is why I said I thought your company would be paying me through a paypal account the same way I had to pay you. The reply back to me was, Vapor Audio does not have those kinds of funds laying around.

We just have two different meanings of what FULL REFUND meant I guess and no I am not doing this on a third party contingency upon your inspection approval. Too risky for me.

You sent speakers that had flaws and did not disclose this to me before I made my final payment plus all the UPS issues we went through make it very difficult to trust you with an escrow service. Again you have to be the one holding all of the cards and take zero risk.

Stringreen makes the case for sticking with the larger companies that charge you for their advertising, distribution, sales force, etc. That's fine. But if you don't mind working with a new and growing company here in America that eschews all that extra overhead in order to offer you a superior product for a lower price, well, that's the customer we're looking for.

I was this customer so how do you figure my 6k pair of Cirrus speakers are superior? You shipped them with a 1 1/2" gouge down one side that you were well aware of and purposely left this side of the speaker out of the pictures you sent before payment and shipping. Is this the American way to you? It's not the first time Vapor Audio has done this either. It actually saddens me to see you using the word America in your marketing.

Would anyone want to know about a known flaw before purchasing? When I place an ad for them here am I required to disclose this flaw?

Vapor Audio now wants me to trust them AGAIN! LOL

Dat1 started this thread and owned these same speakers in which he sold shortly after.