Is computer audio pushing up the price of CDPs?

Having heard several times, computer audio accessed via an I-PAD, I-POD and I-phones, I have to say I was impressed by the purity and ease of the sound. However, I did NOT go out and junk MY CD player and other related components

However, I am curious if the so-called purity of computer audio has set the bar higher in terms of sound quality for CDs and especially players. As evidence of this, the average price of a used player on AG seems to have increased dramatically. Many used players seem to begin at about $1500 to a range of $2000, and begin a new level that starts at $2500 and vigorously moves forward to upper $3000; then, jumps again from $4500 up several at $7000 to $9000, and a few $10,000 to $11,000 plus. These are not necessarily two piece units of separate DAC and Transport, but integrated CDP which specify the high quality of the inboard DAC, and flexibility of the player digital inputs.

I have to conclude, that consumers over the last 2-3 years, reluctant to jump into computer audio, just went out and spent 2 or 3 times more than what they would normally have spent for a CDP, assuming, AND also validating in store the sound quality of these upper tier CDPs. Were they hoping that their way over budget investment outdistanced any server file of digital music??

Would like to hear both pros and cons on the issue or issues I have provided. Thanks
sunnyjim

Showing 1 response by gocubs999

Good reading and many intuitive conclusions. It seems to me the price of gear has remained constant as have the price/savings ratio of used equipment inclusive of CDP's. Much study would be required to test jim's hypothesis. The only constant here is that the industry does have real concerns over the aging population of $$ bearing enthusiasts.

One cannot argue over the convenience and security (redundancy) of having built a computer audio system. I agree that both CDP's (Reference Quality & otherwise) will still co-exist for some time to come - 'lowrider".

That said, it is perplexing when one begins the process of evaluating the choices available (Music Server, MS/DAC, USB Convertor/PC or Mac based, etc... I am laughing at this point.

I think it was all just a matter of advances in digital that both formats benefited from and the new kid on the block (PC audio) simply stole the limelight from the oldboy, CDPs, until some folk took notice of just how good they can still sound. - Spot on Nonoise!

Personally, having owned Esoteric gear in the past, I was thrilled they were bold enough to offer, I believe the first, swiss army knife of sorts solution; offering reference quality in one unit for both CDP playback and CA capability. I would venture to say this is the direction the market is likely headed moving forward.

It will certainly be interesting to see if the "x"/"y" and Millennial's adopt a taste for quality over content in the next few years.