Is computer audio a bust?

In recent months, I have had several audio acquaintances return to CDPs claiming improved SQ versus their highly optimized computer transports (SS drives, external power supplies, etc, etc).

I wanted to poll people on their experiences with computer "transports." What variables have had the most impact on sonics? If you bailed on computers, why?

I personally have always believed that the transport, whether its a plastic disc spinner or computer, is as or more important than the dac itself and thus considerable thought and energy is required.

agear

Showing 1 response by kaw108

I finished my career at a specialty audio/video retailer. I witnessed the introduction and success of HD video, with larger and less costly flat panel displays and the attempt of sacd to be the best quality audio. CD playback improved along with better mastering and vinyl was resurrected to some degree. Now computer based playback of audio is the trend and people watch video on small screens - phones and computers. The computer industry is the only industry where failure is accepted and tolerated - the infamous crash. We all know the poor quality of mp-3 audio. In other words, size and convenience have taken over to a significant degree. Some of this reminds me of the poor quality of AM radio sound of my youth. Being retired, I am going to listen to the recordings in my collection rather than use the time to rip them to a computer based system. That being said, I am exploring hi-res downloads. I also use my I-pod as the main source of music for my car. I use apple lossless to get my cds into the I-tunes library and provide good quality sound. My younger customers grew to appreciate improved quality audio as they grew older. I believe this trend will continue with computer based playback. Many realize what they are not hearing when they are exposed to even modestly priced 2-channel and multi-channel audio systems. Overall, I just won't trust computers to take over my audio system. But, that's just my opinion.