Is 500 hours of break in really nec.?

I have been told that the Coincident IC needs 500 hours of break in. That is over 20 days of continual use. This sounds quite extreme. I have had my tuner on since friday evening (it is now Tuesday afternoon) and I can't help but feel guilty!
brianmgrarcom

Showing 2 responses by brianmgrarcom

Let me add, the only reason I felt guilty was for leaving my tuner on 24 hrs a day.

On a side note, I am just in awe and greatly enjoying my tuner since the change. My first mistake was hooking up my tuner, Fanfare FT-1A, into the Lo input with RCA cables, I should of used Hi. I had read somewhere that best performance would come from Lo. I do not know what these circumstances would be. After hooking up the Coincident, which is balanced, and hearing a huge difference, I moved the RCA's to Hi to compare and I found it much more enjoyable in Hi rather than Lo.

My tuner does "appear" to be sounding better everyday. I am not sure if it just the pure joy I am getting out of it in comparison to what it was or the cable is getting better. One of these days I will hook it into my CD player (Meridian 508.24) and compare it to the JPS. When I first received the Coincident I hooked it into the CD player to compare, I felt I slightly prefered the JPS, but the "test" was not vey long.
Sol322, You asked me to report back on my comparison. Before I started this thread, I started a thread called "Coincident or LAT or Madrigal". One of those that responded was Redkiwi, below is a copy of his repsonse and I found it to be exactly as he had stated.

"While I rate the Coincident highly, I find the (Meridian) 508-24 to be a tad laid-back, the JPS to be a tad forwrad, and the Coincident to be a tad laid-back. Hence changing from JPS to Coincident may not take the Meridian in the right direction - but only you can judge that.."

I will leave the JPS connected to my CD player for now and the Coincident to my tuner. Maybe when more break-in is done on the Coincident I can do it again.

The JPS cable is the SC original, not the SC+ or SC2. Both the JPS and Coincident are balanced. They are run through a ML 383.