Input Level for analog signals on Proceed AVP?

Okay, okay, I know this belongs in the Home Theater section, but this is strictly a pre-amp question. I took the store unit home to demo and everything was fine. Just got my new one here out of the box and now when I play CDs it keeps putting up the "ADC clipping" warning and cutting out the signal. The manual says I need to adjust the Input Level and lower it until this warning goes away. So I started lowering the level....-9 dB later!--I finally find a level where the signal does not cut out! My question is--"What?" Why in the world would a pre-amp need this feature? And why did the store unit not do this? The only thing I can think of is I just upgraded my interconnects and speaker cable to BEL wire. The wire supposedly has some insanely low impedance value--but this should not have any effect, right? Yes, I have an email in to Madrigal, but I wanted to cover my bases and see if anyone else came across this situation.
argent

Showing 1 response by mg123

I have an AVP and only use the digital inputs. Why don't you try the digital connection and just use the Meridian as a transport? I think you are using the digital to analog circuits in your cd player, then the analog to digital on the AVP and then the digital to analog again on the AVP. You should be able to get much better sound skipping two sets of circuitry.