Inner Tracks Sound Raspy

Thought I'd try vinyl again. I have close to 100 old LPs from the 70s and 80s that I purchased when I was first became involved with high-end stereo. Admittedly, some of the old platters are in better shape than the others.

So . . ., to get started again, I wanted to start out slowly. I bought a refurbished Thorens TD 160 w/ stock TP 16 tone arm, which included a Grado Sonata cartridge. My first reaction, quite frankly, was surprise. I hope this is not audiophile heresy, but my old vinyl sounds better than my CDs.

But I do have a problem with the vinyl playback. It seems that the pick-up on the inner record tracks is a little raspy and distorted, especially when playing complex music such as orchestral.

The TT and arm appear to be working just fine. I double checked and reset VTF. VTA looks ok too. I also went on Vinyl Engine and checked cartridge compliance and I think the Sonata is ok with the Thorens tone arm. Finally, I increased anti-skating force and that seemed to help somewhat, but the problem continues to persist.

My question to my fellow A'goners is whether this is normal in the case of vinyl or is something else at play here?

Associated equipment is ARC PH-7 (phono pre); ARC Ref 3 (line stage) and ARC VS 115 (amp).

Thanks for the advice.
bifwynne

Showing 5 responses by davide256

Im thinking on this one.. its not very typical and when I was in the business I did over 2000 turntable setups. So lets start with what its not

1) stylus problems exhibit throughout the record
2) alignment problems don't manifest this way
3) General arm problems are agnostic to position on the LP

The times I have seen issues with groove position have all been mechanical issues

platter
noise at the juncture between inner and outer platter assemblies. mat design or aging issues where the mat isn't making good contact with the inner grooves

tone arm
binding in the bearings because the platter is tilted relative to the arm. Issues with the antiskating mechanism binding or increasing drag during travel due to corrosion or dust. Counterweight mods touching the gimble at the end of play
one last thought. Its better to track about 0.25 gram heavier than the nominal/minimum weight recommended. This insures that inner grooves, irregular records maintain good stylus contact. Many myths about lower stylus pressure being better, in point of fact degraded tracking and worn stylii are what damages vinyl. I usually run my Grado Signature at 1.7 gm. This is kind of basic but I shouldn't assume you alredy know.
VTA is basically stylus geometry, groove tilt. Its importance is determined by complexity of stylus shape...a simple elliptical like the Grado signature only has to be approximately right. Other more complex shapes become critical because the actual stylus playing edge is shaped/directional. VTA doesn't care where you are on the record circumference.

Alignment is basically trying to get the stylus parallel to the groove to the best approximation possible. I say approximation because with a round record and pivoting arm you will start to deviate slightly as soon as you leave your measurement point. If alignment is badly off stereo imaging is compromised because you read one channel ahead of the other.

None of these generate tracking distortion, only loss of musical detail.

Its entirely possible that all that is needed is a record weight or clamp to insure tight contact between record and matt because the record label height is causing space and vinyl resonance thats damped further away from the label. If the matt itself has no concavity for the record label area a better mat should be purchased.
the Pro-Ject Align it Cartridge Allignment Tool
($169 at Needle doctor) is very similiar to the Denneson tool I used. This had the virtue that you could lock it into position and was accurate regardless of the spindle, arm bearing center distance because you adjust it to that distance. It also provides a mirror surface so that you can check and adjust the cartridge body to be parallel to the record surface. You can craft a tool yourself by taking a flat record size disc, etching a right angle, drilling the center hole for the record spindle, then etching a 1mm line separated grid at the mid point of the record playable area. I've seen a number of this design but they are a PITA because you use line of sight for the arm bearing center and its hard to adjust without accidentally moving the platter/alignment disc.
Alignment actually requires rotation ofthe cartridge body for final adjustment. There should be enough play to make the needed adjustment if the arm pivot point is located at the manufacturer designed distance from the record spindle.

I prefer clamps to weights, more pressure on the record, less weight on the bearings. height can be a problem with a closed dustcover. Sota products are good but pricey and tall. The JA Michell record clamp should be a good choice to avoid height problems, also available at Needle doctor.
on a related track, I highly recommend use of a record cleaning machine like Nitty Gritty with fluid scrub and vacuum suction. Airborne dust and stylus deposits hide detail and cause increased stylus wear so there is an easy to justify pay off. Beware of cheap substitutes as most of the benefit is driven by suction power and a suction design that insures the groove is wet scrubbed right before suction occurs.