Inexpensive USB DAC

Hi all,

I'm thinking about a reasonably priced (say under $500) USB DAC for an office system. The USB DAC will connect to a Win 7 PC as the only source. The rest of the budget system is NAD C325BEE and Epos ES14s. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

bmdduck
bmdduck

Showing 3 responses by jonathan1257

Just decided to take a chance on a Parasound ZDAC. Will post my impressions when I have had a chance to listen for a while.
Not sure if you bought an inexpensive DAC yet, but the Parasound ZDAC is most defintely worth investigating. I have only had it a week or so, but it is a keeper. I always hate the "good for the money" qualifiers on gear, but this thing is stupidly good for what it sells for (there are definitely deals to be had for new ones). Let me know if you want a more detailed discussion about what I like about it.
Bmdduck,

The things that impress me most about the ZDAC are how clean it is, i.e., no digital hash at all that I can hear, how nicely extended it is from top to bottom, and how much more of the recording I'm hearing than before. I hear more of the reverbs on vocals, tremolo and other effects on guitars, and even subtle lines from instruments I had not noticed in the past. I'm also getting more of a sense of the dynamic range on the recording, maybe because (again) it's just very quiet and clean. I have to add, it's not completely broken in yet, nor have I tried anything but the stock power cord and USB cables that came with the unit. Some have said it gets better with better cables. That'd be cool, too. Good luck.

Jon