In search of a 5.1 receiver with THX??

I am looking for a 5.1 receiver with THX, Digital Dolby EX, DTS ES, Dolby Prologic II. This receiver will be used 100% for HT.
It would also be nice to be able to run two sub woofers.
A no frills receiver would be nice, I don't need all the gadgets, I have never used any on the older Sony I am currently using.

Is there such a receiver out there? Would I be better getting a 6.1 or 7.1?

Lastly, I would also like to be able to run an external amp for one of the channels.

I know I am asking a lot.

Thanks!!
johnymac

Showing 1 response by lej1447

There are tons of them out there. Any limiting budget or the sky is the limit? 2-channel music? FYI only, Yamaha recently released RX-V1400 for MSRP $800, which can be found for substantially less. It meets most of your requirements-- THX, Digitial Dolby IIx, 7.1 channel, work as pre/proc with external amp, and many more. It can do video up conversion, which is a nice feature for wife and kids since they don't have to switch inputs on TV. It does NOT have dual ports for dual subs, but many folks have used Y splitter. Not sure if you like such idea. I use RX-V1400 as an example under the assumption that you want some thing in such price range. Some will say don't spend the extra $ for THX. Some will say Denon is better than Yammie in such price range. It's all about personal preference. Good luck.