Improving bass response

I would like to improve the bass extension in my system. My current system includes Arcam Diva 92 > HT Pro Silway Mk II > Classe CAP-150 > Synergistic Research Sig. 2 > Sonus Faber Concerto speakers. Power cords are stock.

I know the SF monitors cannot reproduce extremely low bass. I have moved them around and believe they are optimally arranged, given the confines of the room. The room measures 15x25 feet and the speakers fire across the width of the room. They are 7 feet apart, several feet off the side walls on both sides and 2 feet away from the front wall. The sitting position is almost against the back wall and is not easily changed.

I want to avoid simply adding a sub-woofer. I have tried a Rel Strata and despite integrating fairly well, I can still hear a disconnect ie. the sound is not seamless.

I'm willing to change anything else except the Arcam which I like and intend to keep until the format wars end. I also like the speakers with the exception of the low end. Should I:

- try upgrading power cords
- change speakers (Grand Pianos or other suggestions)
- change integrated amp to separates with an amp that doubles down into 4 ohms and has better bass extension (the CAP-150 is 150W into 8 ohms and 225W into 4 ohms)
- or anything else?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks, Dave
milo

Showing 1 response by whknopp0713

Power line conditioning will definitely help. Maybe a lot. I like Tice, but there are several good ones out there. Power cords can also help bass response, but not as dramatically, in my experience. I would try a Tice Solo on the front end and a JPS Labs Power AC on the Classe, straight to the wall. You might also try the HC version of the Solo and run the amp through it, too. On smaller amps, a good PLC can be an improvement overall, especially in extension and blackness, even if you lose a bit of dynamics. The Concertinos are really nice; very coherent, like a good 2 way should be, so I'm not surprised that you didn't like the sub.