I Was Considering Active, Then I Watched This ...

high-amp
@jon_5912 --

Ad 1: Indeed, agreed. Seeing the somewhat easier load presented to an amp when coupled directly to a driver without the interference of a passive cross-over, the "impedance matching" of amps to drivers that is often heralded as an advantage with active speaking in effect is mostly about scaling down/specifying the amp to its intended (and easier load) usage. That's not that to say it's really an advantage in absolute sonic terms; if one were to use more "all out," non-tailored amps to each driver section instead it wouldn't be detrimental to the sound, just more expensive overall. That is to say: the claimed "advantage" earlier mentioned with tailored amps comes down to cost savings, most of all. The one true advantage in sonic terms is the active configuration itself with all that implies. 

Ad 2: Again, agree, and this ties into what I've written above.

Ad 3: Agree. 

Ad 4: Certainly; having the XO prior to amplification on signal level naturally leaves it impervious to load variations on the power side.

With regard to mentioned advantage with passive and the choice of amplification: to my mind this is in part a forced choice and mostly comes down to the disadvantage of passive: its cross-over and the greater importance and stress it puts on the amp(s), and thereby the rather varying results that may come of using different amps. While amps are also consciously chosen to active speakers as pre-build and all-in-one solutions and one would not be able to exchange them for a more tailored sonic result to each individual, I'd argue the sonic differences would also be somewhat less outspoken here compared to swapping amps with passive speakers. 

You can however also use an active configuration as a solution of separate components and choose your amps. That's what I do myself, and that also involves and element of tailoring; pure Class A amp to the compression driver handling the mids on up, and even more powerful Class D variants for the midbass section and the subs. 
I decided today that if AXPONA happens this next fall as planned (Chicago), I’ll take a pair of ATC 50 SE’s and pair of 50 passives to compare in my exhibit room. All of you can come hear it yourself.

Brad

Good to see so many supporting actives.  I thought I’d be completely thrown under the bus for my previous post on this thread...

I wish I could be axpona to hear that atc comparison... Do you attend RMAF too Brad?

I've had, and have, passives (many of them, for decades) and I've had, and have, actives (a couple of them, for a decade). Actives are better.